Corn rice or commonly called empog rice is one of the typical Indonesian foods made from old and pounded corn. Corn rice is very familiar among people on the island of Java, especially Central Java, East Java, Flores, Sumbawa, and the island of Timor. Actually the reason for making this corn rice as a substitute benefits of white rice. This is because the price of rice was quite expensive in ancient times, for the lower middle class who had difficulty buying rice.
Nutritional Content In Corn Rice
Although it is considered cheap, corn rice has a nutritional content that is no less high than rice made from rice. It even has a higher nutritional value than rice. The nutritional content contained in corn rice weighing 100 grams:
Nutritional Value :
|Nutrient content||Nutritional amount|
|Vitamin A||30 RE|
|Thiamine (Vit. B1)||0,07 mg|
|Riboflavin (Vit. B2)||0,04 mg|
|Niacin (Vit. B3)||60 mg|
|Vitamin C||3 mg|
Antioxidant Phytonutrients :
- Anthocyanin, namely pigments found in various types of plants that can dissolve in water. These compounds act as antioxidants to ward off free radicals.
- beta-carotenewhich is to protect cells from damage
- Caffeic acid, an antioxidant that can inhibit carcinogenesis, as well as being an immunomodulator and anti-inflammatory activity.
- Asam coumaricantioxidants that can reduce the risk of cancer
- ferulic acidan antioxidant that is reactive to free radicals
- lutein, namely xanthophylls compounds that give plants a yellow pigment naturally. Its function is as an effective antioxidant to increase the optical density of the macular pigment in the eye.
- Asam syringicwhich are chemicals found in many plants and foods that serve as supplements to improve athletic performance, fatigue, weight loss, cancer, HIV/AIDS, herpes, and several other conditions.
- Asam vanillawhich is one of the phenolic compounds that have antioxidant properties as free radical scavengers
- Asam protocatechuicwhich is a type of phenolic acid found in various types of plants that function to normalize cancer cells
- Zeaxanthinis one of the most common alcohol carotenoids found in nature that function to maintain eye health.
Corn rice turns out to provide many benefits for the health of the body, because of the high quality of nutrients in the main ingredient of its manufacture, namely corn. Besides being delicious, corn rice is also known to be rich in phytochemicals, as well as providing protection from several chronic diseases. Here are some health benefits of corn rice:
1. Energy source
Corn rice is a kind of staple food that can be used as an alternative energy producer in the body. because the basic material for making it is from corn benefits which is a rich source of calories. The calorie content found in corn rice is around 345 per 100 grams.
2. Overcoming digestive disorders
The fiber content contained in corn rice can meet about 18.4% of the recommended amount per day. This makes corn rice very useful to help reduce various digestive disorders such as hemorrhoids and constipation. Fiber is a substance that serves to help with bowel problems, namely by stimulating peristalsis and even stimulating the production of stomach acid and bile. Fiber is also abundant in:
3. Overcoming diarrhea complaints
The fiber content in the benefits of corn rice is also believed to be able to reduce the possibility of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and diarrhea.
4. Prevent cardiovascular disease
The fat content and anti-atherogenic effects contained in the benefits of corn rice are believed to be able to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disorders, namely by reducing cholesterol levels in the body. This can reduce the chance of clogged arteries, reduce blood pressure, and reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes. Benefits such as corn rice are also found in:
5. Boost the immune system
In corn rice dishes, there is also beta-carotene content which is a source of the benefits of vitamin A. We know that Vitamin A can be beneficial for maintaining healthy skin and boosting the immune system.
6. Lowers the risk of cancer
The fiber content in corn rice can reduce the risk of colon cancer. In addition, corn rice is also rich in phenolic acids, namely ferulic compounds which are anti-cancer agents. Where this compound has been shown to be effective in fighting tumors in breast cancer and liver cancer. The anthocyanin content in corn rice is also able to fight free radicals that trigger cancer.
Top For Cancer
- Benefits of rat taro
- Benefits of dragon fruit
- Benefits of paprika
- Noni benefits
- Benefits of white turmeric
- Benefits of red fruit juice
- Benefits of garlic
- Benefits of lemon water
- Benefits of african leaves
- The benefits of Japanese ants
7. Prevent anemia
Content iron benefits in processed corn can help prevent anemia, because these compounds are able to help the production of red blood cells in the body.
Top Herbs For Anemia
- Benefits of goat meat
- Benefits of cassava leaves
- Benefits of spinach
- Benefits of long beans
- Benefits of beef
- Benefits of chicken
- Benefits of tomatoes
- Benefits of rambutan fruit
- Benefits of date juice
- The benefits of Siamese pumpkin
- Benefits of beetroot
- Benefits of venison
- Benefits of duck meat
- Benefits of beef liver
- Benefits of chicken liver
- Benefits of half boiled eggs
8. Maintain bone health
Content calcium benefits, phosphorus, and magnesium in corn rice can help maintain bone health. By regulating normal bone growth and increasing its strength.
9. Maintain kidney function
Mineral content such as phosphorus in the benefits of corn rice is also very important to maintain the performance of kidney function in order to remain in normal conditions.
10. Good for pregnant women
Another content of corn rice is folic acid which is known to be very important for fetal growth. Because if a woman who is pregnant has folic acid deficiency, it can result in defects and weight loss when the baby is born. In addition, consuming corn rice can also launch breast milk production.
Folic acid content is also found in:
11. Maintain eye health
The content of carotenoid compounds consisting of luthein and zeaxanthin which gives the yellow pigment to corn is very useful for keeping the eyes healthy. This compound will prevent cataracts and other visual disturbances.
12. Facilitate urination
The diuretic properties contained in corn can prevent infections in the urinary tract, and can treat gout and prevent kidney stone disorders.
Benefits of Corn Rice for Diabetics
One of the differences between corn rice and white rice is the carbohydrate content in it. The carbohydrate content in white rice is a simple carbohydrate, while the carbohydrate content in corn rice is a form of complex carbohydrate. The digestive tract will digest complex carbohydrates slowly. This can cause sugar levels in the body to increase slowly as well.
This can cause a feeling of fullness in the stomach to last longer, thus making the characteristics of foods made from corn very beneficial for diabetics and also people who are on a diet to lose weight.
In addition, consuming foods derived from corn can help in the management of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) and is effective against hypertension due to the presence of phenolic phytochemicals in whole corn. Phytochemical compounds in corn can regulate the absorption and release of insulin in the body.
The benefits of corn rice above, obtained by the process of making this rice are quite complicated. But in the past, this did not spark the public’s intention to consume it as a cheaper alternative food ingredient. The thing that needs to be considered when processing corn rice is the amount of water that must be right, because corn is known to absorb a lot of water.