Basic Italian Bread.
You can cook Basic Italian Bread using 5 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Basic Italian Bread
- You need 1 1/2 cup of warm water, around 100f, no higher than 115f.
- It’s 1 Tbs of active dry yeast.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Kosher Salt.
- You need 1 1/2 Tbs of olive oil.
- You need 500 g of AP White Flour, about 3 1/2 Cups.
Basic Italian Bread instructions
- Add water to a stand mixer with a dough hook, the yeast, sugar, and salt. Let sit for the yeast to soften or foam. I usually just mix it in the dry ingredients as I've never had yeast fail. That was in the old days with the yeast cubes that some still use..
- Add 350g (flour 2 1/2 cups) flour and mix at medium speed for 2 minutes..
- Reduce speed and add 150g (1 cup) flour a little at a time..
- Adjust flourer for a soft dough that doesn't stick to the bowl..
- Remove and form into a ball, put into a large greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until double, about an hour..
- At this point, I cut the dough in half, wrap in greased plastic and freeze for another time. I use the other half for todays bread..
- For a full recipe, cut the dough in half and form each into two loaves..
- Either put them on parchment paper on a peel or sprinkle cornmeal on a cookie sheet. Or, if you're brave, sprinkle the peel with cornmeal to slide the dough..
- If using a stone, preheat the oven to 375f for 45 minutes..
- Cover and allow to rise until about double..
- Without a stone: Preheat the oven to 400f about 15 minutes before baking..
- Make 3-4 shallow slits in the top of the dough with a serated knife or razor blade. This keeps it from splitting when cooked..
- On a stone: Gently slide the dough onto the stone and bake for 40 minutes until lightly brown and hollow sounding..
- Without a stone: Put the pan in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly brown and hollow sounding..
- Cool on a rack and serve or wrap in plastic rap..